Sunday, May 30, 2010

May 29 & 30 - Butter Pecan Ice Cream Pie with Caramel Topping


LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, BUTTER PECAN ICE CREAM!!!!
Butter pecan ice cream is my most favorite flavor in all the world.  There is just something about it that drives me nuts (Ha!).  I will take a handful of lactaid just so I can enjoy this most holy of ice cream flavors.  The sweet and salty are in  perfect balance as you get a play of smooth and crunchy textures in your mouth.  I think its my love for pecans in general that fuels this passion.  Oh gosh, I could gush for hours and hours on the greatness of this flavor, but I've got an ice cream pie to eat on this extremely hot day!

THE RECIPE
Ingredients:
Pecans: $4.28
Graham Cracker Crumbs: $1.00
Brown sugar: $2.00
Butter: $1.99
Butter Pecan Ice Cream: $2.50
Caramel: made

Total: $11.77

I forgot to get caramel ice cream topping, so I decided to make a small batch.  Since I had some leftover cream in the fridge and sugar in the pantry, I was good to go.  (Caramel should only be made with cream.  Regular milk or half and half don't work.)

THE RESULTS
FAST:  Not really.  The crust took 5 minutes to prep and 15 minutes to freeze.  The ice cream sat out while this happened.  The ice cream softened, I put it into the shell, and then had to wait 1 hour for it to harden back up (made the caramel during this time).  So, about 1 hour 20 minutes for pie.

EASY:  The crust wasn't too difficult.  The processor made fast work of it.  Just make sure you pack your crumbs in well and into the corners of your dish for a crisp, finished look.

FRESH:  Not really.  It's just butter pecan ice cream and caramel.

OVERALL:  YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
I mean, come on.  Unless you don't like butter pecan ice cream, this is the greatest dessert so far in the past 6 months.

Okay.  I've got tomorrow (Memorial Day) off.  Which I will need to do school stuff.  Hopefully, I'll get back on track this week.

No comments: