Tuesday, June 1, 2010

June 1st - Grilled Salmon with Tomato Olive Salsa

THE HALFWAY POINT...
Can you believe it's June already?  Gosh, where does the time go?  I'll tell you.  It goes into this blog.  It's really becoming difficult to find time to do this almost every day ("...pity, party of one..pity, party of one"), but I'm surviving.  Everytime I think of giving up this project, I get an e-mail from someone asking what's on the menu for next week or a comment from someone responding to my crazy opinions of things.  Then I'm like "Wow, someone is really reading this thing!  How sad."  (Just kidding.) But seriously, here's to all of you that keep me going.  Someone's got to keep you entertained (and make you hungry) at work!

THE RECIPE

Ingredients:
Tomatoes: $2.07
Olive Oil: had
Kalamata Olives: $2.29
Basil: from my herb garden
Capers: had
Galic: had
Shallot $0.83
Salmon: $4.99

Total: $10.18

Doesn't it seems like I've made some version of this already.  I'm having a total deja vu moment here.  There's got to have been some sort of tomato/olive salsa with fish before.  Hold on..I'm going to check. 

The Verdict:  Yes, and no.  If you look back to January 12th there is a striped bass with Moroccan Salsa.

http://superstarchefmark.blogspot.com/2010/01/january-12th-striped-bass-with-moroccan.html

The salsa does have kalamata olives, but it does not have tomatoes or capers.  In fact, it's a whole other set of ingredients.  Similar concept, different take.  I knew I wasn't going crazy.  It's only June for crepes sake!

THE RESULTS

FAST: The salsa only takes about 10 minutes to make.  However, it needs to sit for at least 15 minutes for the flavors to develop (longer if possible).  The fish was really quick at 6 minutes.  So maybe 30 minutes for this meal?  If someone says Rachael Ray I'm gonna....

EASY:  How good are your salsa making skills?  That's about as hard as this recipe gets.  Unless, you get the fish stuck to your grill.  WARNING:  Make sure you wipe down your grill with some olive oil.  DOUBLE WARNING: Make sure you don't start your paper towel or rag on fire!

FRESH: Yeah.  The salsa is a great fresh kick to the salmon.  The just picked basil and kalamata olives combined with the capers is a symphony of flavors.  You know I'm going to say that this salsa will be even better in the summer with garden fresh tomatoes!

OVERALL:  A great variation of the fish and salsa recipe we've come to see twice now from Bon Appetit.  How many more will we see before the year is up?  Care to guess?  This is a great recipe to clean out your fridge and to use that home grown basil and tomatoes that you'll have an abundance of. 

Tomorrow is my favorite veggie: THE POTATO!  See ya then!

No comments: