Thursday, June 3, 2010

June 3rd - Hunan Lamb Chops

I'm wiped out.  Took my two classes on their field trips today and I've been on the go from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  It was a beautiful day outside, but I'm going to be so sunburned tomorrow.  Need to get this done and get some sleep.

THE RECIPE

Ingredients:
Hoisin Sauce: had
Soy Sauce: had
Dry Sherry: had
Chili oil: Had
Rice Vinegar: had
Garlic: $0.89
Green Onions: $0.33
Lamb: $7.45

TOTAL: $8.67

THE RESULTS

FAST:  The hunan sauce takes less than 5 minutes to whip up.  The lamb has to marinade in it for at least 20 minutes.  The cooking takes about another 6.  So, you can have this dish from start to finish in about 30 -35 minutes. 

EASY:   The hardest part of this recipe will be to not overcook the lamb.  I think lamb should be cooked to medium or medium rare (that's my personal opinion).  Well done lamb is like an oil spill in the gulf, it ruins everything.  NOTE: Keep an eye on your lamb!
FRESH:  Not really.  The hunan sauce is really thick and "dark" tasting.  Lots of soy sauce and hoisin which can get really syrupy and cloying.  Now, throw in a little fresh ginger to the sauce and you'll put a little more zip in the ship.
OVERALL:  The lamb I bought for this recipe was too lamby/gamey.  It killed the taste of the whole dish.   The hunan sauce would be great with either chicken or pork as well (I didn't mind that so much).  It's kind of all purpose that way.  I will be adding some fresh ginger next time and maybe some more green onion.

Sorry to make this short.  See ya tomorrow!

No comments: