Wednesday, April 28, 2010

April 28th - Peas with Roasted Onions and Mint

PEAS...NO MORE!
I woke up bright and early this morning to make some peas, one of my favorite veggies.  I debated whether or not to plant them this year, but decided against it.  Pea plants often suffer from root rot and my thumb isn't green enough to deal with that.  Also, you need to blanch fresh peas right away otherwise the sugars they contain turn to starch.  That's a bit much for me, so I'll stick to the frozen variety. 

I've always heard that fresh mint and peas are a flavor match made in heaven.  This was my first time eating the two together and I have to say that I quite enjoyed it.  I think later on down the road I'll make some fresh pea and mint ravioli with a light cream sauce.  Maybe even saute up a little shrimp to go with it?  Mmm...I'm getting hungry.

THE RECIPE:

Ingredients:
Onions: $0.69
Oil: had
Salt: had
Peas: $1.00
Mint: $1.19
Pepper: had
Sugar: had

Total: $2.88

THE RESULTS:

FAST:  The roasting of the onions took a little less than 20 minutes in my oven.  (Some of the onions on the outer edges were turning black.)  Boiling the peas takes only five minutes and you can have the mint chopped while waiting fo the onions.  So, you're looking at about 20 to 25 minutes for this entire recipe.

EASY:  Roasting onions is quite simple, as is boiling peas.  There really isn't too much difficulty in this recipe.

FRESH:  Utmost.  Again, the combination of fresh mint and peas is quite tasty.

OVERALL:  I liked the roasted onion, but I think I'll saute them next time.  They'll have a more carmelized flavor which will add to the sweetness of the peas.  Also, I really don't need to cut the onions into rings again.  It makes for big chunks of onion which is an odd contrast with the the size of the peas.   Anyways, I think this recipe would be a good filling for the ravioli I mentioned above or as a good side dish alternative to just boring peas and butter.

Tommorrow we've got some red meat!  See ya then!

No comments: