Tuesday, April 20, 2010

April 20th - Spiced Lamb in Pita Bread

Welcome Back Deliciousness
I am so excited to be eating lamb again.  Ever since I made the roasted leg of lamb recipe a few weeks back, I've been craving it.  (It's just too bad it's always on the pricy side, or I would eat it more often.)   Brian doesn't care for lamb because of the gamey taste.  I actually enjoy it.  There is just something about lamb and fresh mint that work so well together.  Maybe because they are both such strong flavors?  Whatever the case, I'm just glad it's back.

As you'll notice in the recipe, it calls for ground lamb.  Around here, not all the grocery stores carry ground lamb.  So, you sometimes have to be creative.  Granted, I only went to one grocery store, but I didn't feel like hunting for something (and using up a lot of gas) that I could easily do myself.  So, I bought lamb rounbone chops, deboned them, cut them up, and threw them in the food processor.  Since these are just lamb patties, it didn't really matter that it wasn't store ground.  It worked and tastes delicious.

THE RECIPE
Ingredients:
Lamb: $4.55
Onion: $0.76
Mint: $1.99
Oregano & Cumin: had
Salt & Pepper: had
Cinnamon: had
Pita breads: $1.49

Total: $8.79

THE RESULTS

FAST:   Chopping up the onion and mint will take about 3 to 4 minutes, throwing the patties together will take another 3 to 4 minutes, and frying will take about 6.  So, if you buy ground lamb, this recipe should take you no longer than 15 minutes to do.  Grinding up the lamb myself, took about 7 minutes.

EASY:  The hardest parts of this recipe are the chopping (of the onion and mint) and the shaping of the patties (I suggest using slightly wet hands so the meat doesn't stick all over you).  

FRESH:  The fresh mint is the star of this recipe and makes the lamb pop along with the cinnamon and cumin.

OVERALL:  Yummy in the tummy.  I really like this recipe.  I like to think of it as a lamburger.  The patties were very juicy on their own, but I wanted some sauce with my lamburger so I made a throw together yogurt/sour cream sauce with lemon juice, dill, and garlic salt.  Perfect!   If you're looking for something different for dinner, I suggest giving this a try.

Tomorrow is a rice salad.  Hmmm, not sure what to think of that....  See ya then!

No comments: