Thursday, April 15, 2010

April 15th - Crab and Avocado Tostadas


HAPPY TAX DAY!
Hope y'all got your taxes done.  Overachiever me got mine done back in late February and the refund is already spent.   I heard on the radio that 1 in 5 people wait until today to do them.  That's crazy.  I'd hate to be working at the post office tonight. 

SPEAKING OF TAXING....
This recipe is a lot of work for something that didn't turn out so great.   I highly recommend using fresh crab meat (not canned) if you want to attempt this.  Or, skip the crab meat all together and use either a cooked white fish or chicken.

THE RECIPE


Ingredients:
Sour cream: $1.29
Canned chipotle chiles: $2.99
Tomatoes: $0.79
Onion: $0.66
Limes: $0.50
Cilantro: $0.63
Jalepeno: $0.44
Crabmeat: $5.98
Avocadoes: $1.19
Tostada shells: $0.59
Romaine lettuce: $1.17

Total: $16.23

So, I used canned crabmeat which was a big mistake.  It had such a tin/bitter flavor that ruined the whole thing for me.  I should have searched out other crabmeat (or frozen crab), but I was a little lazy.  Also, they don't sell small cans of chipotles in adobo sauce.  So, I pureed the whole can and put the leftovers in the freezer.  I figured I can scoop some out every once in a while to use in other recipes (otherwise the whole thing is going to mold over in the fridge and I'd end up throwing it out).  

Also, frying up your own tortillas in a little bit of oil is a lot cheaper than buying tostada shells.  If you want to stay on the healthy side, like I'm trying to do, skip the tostada shells and just put corn tortillas under the broiler.   Yeah, it's more of a taco, but it's going to be less time on the treadmill in the end.

THE RESULTS

FAST:  This recipe is all about prep.  It took me about 20 - 25 minutes to get everything all chopped up, pureed, mixed together, and assembled. 

EASY:  Nothing too crazy (unless your frying your own tortilla shells).  It's mostly just chopping and mixing together. 

FRESH:  Yes, once you get past the tin taste of the crab.  With different crab or a different meat, this would have been a great, fresh recipe.

OVERALL:  Where to begin?  I guess by now, you know you shouldn't use canned crab meat.  Second, there is way too much lime juice in the recipe (it overpowers everything).  Cut it back to a tablespoon and a half.  I would also add a small clove of garlic (finely chopped) to this.   Maybe even garnish with some chopped cilantro?  I didn't use crema mexicana because at the store it was $4 and I didn't feel like driving to the Mexican grocery store.   The sour cream/ chipotle mixture is good, but be sparing with it.  It has a tendency to overpower the rest of the flavors as well.    This recipe was kind of a hot mess.  I can see what they were trying to achieve, but it seems that the balance of ingredients needs to be tweeked a little.   I don't think I'll ever make this again.  I'd rather spend the effort making enchiladas.

Tomorrow is cocktail time!   Yummy!!!  See ya tomorrow!

No comments: