Sunday, April 25, 2010

April 24 & 25 Blueberry Crisp with Cinnamon Streusel Topping

A CRISP WEEKEND
On our trip to Nebraska last weekend, Brian and I were able to get some Rhubarb from Brian's childhood home.  Brian figures that rhubarb plant has to be at least 50 years old.   Having held onto it all week, we decided it was probably best to make something out of it.  So I took half of it and made a Rhubarb-Apple Crisp.  Brian took the other half and made a rhubarb/ginger/organge sauce for ice cream.   Both were really good (but not pretty enough to take pictures of).  So suprise, surprise the dessert for this weekend was another crisp...only this time blueberry.

I did not buy fresh blueberries for this recipe.  That would have run me about $14.  Instead, I found frozen blueberries for $7.  Its early yet for blueberry season in the midwest. 

Speaking of crisp, it's a little wet, cold, and damp out, so a hot helping of this with some icecream is just how I want to spend my Sunday. 

THE RECIPE
Ingredients:
Blueberries $7.00
Sugar: had
Flour: had
Walnuts: had
Brown Sugar: had
CInnamon: had
Salt: had
Butter: $2.29
Ice Cream: $2.99

Total: $12.28

THE RESULTS

FAST:  Prep will take you about 10 to 15 minutes, baking will take you another 45, and then you'll need to let it sit for another 10 minutes.  So you're looking at about 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes from start to finish.

EASY:  The streusel topping can be a little difficult if you don't have a pastry cutter. 
I recommend getting the blade kind (as shown above) and NOT the wire kind.  A pastry cutter makes quick work of cutting in butter (or shortening) into flour.  It's great for many things such as pie dough, biscuits, and streusel topping.  Its one of those tools everyone should have in their kitchen (I tell my baking and pastry students that they should get one to make life easier).  If you don't have one, you can always use two knifes to cut in the butter or even a fork (my mom used to do that until I got her a pastry cutter). 

FRESH:  When it comes to baking fruit, I have no qualms about using frozen berries (it's when fruit is to be uncooked that I shy away from the freezer section).  The cinnamon in the streusel topping adds a little pop and makes the frozen blueberries taste fresher. 

OVERALL:  This is your standard crisp recipe and I don't mind it.  However, I always add a little lemon juice or lemon zest to my blueberries to perk them up (I didn't for this recipe).  I will definitely stick to that rule from now on (to me it tastes like something is missing).  If you've never made a crisp before, I suggest using this recipe.  Also, it'll look like there is way too much streusel topping, but DON'T BE FOOLED.  You will need all of it because most will sink into the blueberries.  Also, I recommend spraying your glass 13 x 9 with Pam (or any other brand) spray to make clean up a bit easier.

Ahh...a much needed break from this blog is coming tomorrow.  I need to recharge my batteries if I'm going to get through this next week.  Lots of projects to get done!  Hope you have a great Monday!  See ya Tuesday!

No comments: