Tuesday, March 30, 2010

March 30th - Chicken with Carrots Prunes and Rice

I'M BACK...AND READY TO GO!
Well, after a much needed few days off, I'm back and feeling much better.  I've got some pep in my step and ready to take on anything (well, not anything...most anything).   Why in such good spirits you ask?  Well, it's my BIRTHDAY WEEK!!  Happy Birthday Week to Me!  I can't believe this birthday has finally come.  I remember when I was little (back in 1985) and thought, "Gosh in 2010 not only will we have flying cars, but I'm going to be 32 years old.  That's OLD!"  Every birthday since 1985, I've thought of that.  Well it's here and unfortunately, NO flying cars.  But I think back on everything I've wanted to do since I was little, and I've pretty much accomplished most of it:

1.  BECAME A CHEF
2.  LIVED IN ITALY FOR A WHILE
3.  OWN MY OWN CAR SO I CAN PLAY WHATEVER MUSIC I WANT
4.  FOUND A PERFECT MATE
5.  OWN MY OWN HOUSE SO I CAN LEAVE CLOTHES ON THE FLOOR
6.  BECAME A TEACHER
7.  TRAVELED TO SPAIN
8.  LIVE IN A BIG CITY

Now I just need to get a dog and a pickup truck and I think all of my childhood wishes will finally come true.

THE RECIPE

Ingredients:

Chicken: $4.59
Olive oil: had
Onion: had
Carrots: $0.66
Rice: had
Prunes: $2.29
Paprika: had
Chicken broth: $2.19

Total:  $9.73

I have to be honest and tell you that I added 2 sticks of cinnamon and a bay leaf to this recipe.  I just didn't think the recipe (the way it was) would be flavorful enough.  I just lectured about North African/Morroccan cuisine to my class about 2 weeks ago and I remember a similar recipe like this but it had cinnamon sticks, bay leaf, clove, and saffron.  I only added the cinnamon and bay leaf to stay semi-true to the recipe.  I'm kind of glad I did.

Also, 1 hour in the oven is WAY too long.  The rice got over done and mushy.  I knew I should have trusted my instincts and checked the thing at 45 minutes.  I didn't and UGH!  It's like eating mashed potatoes. 

THE RESULTS

FAST:  Not really.  I didn't feel like dragging out my food processor from the garage, so I hand grated the carrots.  That took a while (10 min), plus this thing needs to cook for at least 45 minutes (MAKE SURE YOU CHECK IT).  So you're looking at least an hour before its done.

EASY:  Grating carrots by hand is not easy.  Otherwise, the rest of the recipe is just layering in an oven proof pot and throwing it in to cook.

FRESH:  The chicken, carrots, rice all pretty much taste the same (bland).  The prunes come through with their sweetness.  I added the cinnamon sticks to boost the flavor a little, which you could taste.  It feels like it still needs something.  I would do a squeeze of lemon and maybe some chopped up cilantro.  Maybe a touch of heat (cayenne)? 

OVERALL:  I won't be making this again.  Yes, it's super easy, but its super blah.  I've become more adventurous in my tastes and this is like a ride on the kiddie train at the fair....perfect for the kids, not for adults.  Bon Apetite, I'm chalking this one up in the FAIL column.

Tomrrow is a twist on coleslaw.  See ya then!

No comments: