Friday, March 12, 2010

March 12th - Parsley Hummus with Cauliflower Crudites

THE 3/50 PROJECT
So today at this Family Farmed Expo, I heard a little bit about this 3/50 project and was quite intrigued.  (I have always tried to support local businesses whenever possible.)   I decided to look it up online and wanted to share the information with you. From their website:

3
What 3 independently owned businesses would you miss if they disappeared?  Stop in. Say hello. Pick up something that brings a smile.  Your purchases are what keeps those businesses around.

50
If half the employed population would spend $50 each month in locally owned independent businesses, it would generate more than $42.6 billion in revenue.  Imagine the positive impact if 3/4 the employed population did that!

68
For every $100 spent in locally owned independent stores, $68 returns to the community through taxes, payroll, and other expenditures.  If you spend that in a national chain, only $43 stays here.  Spend it online, and nothing comes home!

1
The number of people it takes to start the trend...you.

Please visit http://www.the350project.net/ and support your local mom & pop restaurants!

The Recipe
Ingredients:
Parsley: $0.59
Garlic: had
Garbanzo beans: $1.29
Sour Cream: $2.29
Tahini: $1.49
Sesame Oil: had
Lemon: $0.33
Cumin: had
Salt: had
Cayenne: had
Cauliflower: $1.59

Total: $7.58

WARNING: Do not put as much salt as it says.  I don't know what happened...I only put in 1 1/2 teaspoons...but the dip is WAY too salty!   I'm going to have to throw it away it's so bad!  The tahini only has 5 mg of salt, so that's not the problem.   And I KNOW that I used teaspoons and not tablespoons!  Otherwise, it would have been so tasty!

THE RESULTS

Fast:  The hummus will take you maybe 3 minutes to make.  The cauliflower will take about 6 minutes to do.   So you're looking at getting this all done in maybe 10 minutes.

Easy:  The hardest part of this recipe is the cauliflower.  Otherwise, it's just putting all the dip ingredients in a food processor and pureeing it all.

Fresh:  This would have been a good hummus if not for the saltiness of it.  I actually like the zing of lemon and the heat of they cayenne.  The parsley helps battle the sesame-ness of the hummus (which sometimes can be a bit overpowering for my palate).

Overall:  I would maybe make this again and omit putting in the salt all together.  I have no idea how that happened.  It could be because I used iodized salt because I ran out of kosher.  Iodized to me is almost too salty (if that's possible) to use, but I had nothing else.  Dang, I should have just left it out!!!

Well, tomorrow is Lemon Shortbread.  I feel like I've made shortbread already?   Hmmm... I'll have to go back through the recipes and see.  Would it have been the Chai cookies?  Could be...  See ya tomorrow!

SUPPORT MOM & POP RESTAURANTS

No comments: