Wednesday, March 17, 2010

March 17th - White Soda Bread


Top o' the Mornin' to You...
I have had the weirdest St. Patty's Day so far.  First, on my way to school, I saw a man riding a unicycle in a mall parking lot.  At first I was like, is he riding a unicycle?  Then, as I was watching him, because I was stuck at a stop sign, I noticed how difficult riding a unicycle looked.  I think he could have walked faster than they way he was tooling around on that thing.  Why wouldn't he just ride a bike?  It would be faster...I dunno.

Second, I had to stop and get some gas.  So I went in to pay, because the credit card reader at the pump wasn't working (go figure).  When I got inside, there was a husband and wife arguing really loud in Polish.  Since I grew up hearing my parents fight in Polish, I had a good understanding of what they were saying...and it really wasn't very nice.  All of a sudden the guy behing the counter goes "I don't know what you two are saying, but you need to take it outside".  He looks at me like 'get a load of those two' and I just quickly pay and get the heck out of there.

Finally, I get to school and am really looking forward to the corned beef sandwiches they have been advertising for the past two weeks.  Turns out, there's no corned beef.  Someone got roast beef instead. 


THE RECIPE

Ingredients:

Flour: had
Caraway seeds: had
Baking soda: had
Salt: had
Buttermilk: $0.99

Total $0.99

I decided to throw some currants into the dough after I heard a conversation yesterday that Irish Soda Bread isn't good without some raisins in it.  Knowing my absolute disgust for raisins, you can pardon me for throwing in the currants instead.  I'm kind of glad I did.

THE RESULTS:

FAST:  The make up of this dough is very quick.  Maybe 5 minutes max.  Also, the cooking time says 35 minutes, but it only took 30.  So you can be eating a nice loaf of Soda Bread in as little as 45 minutes.

EASY:  Probably one of the easiest breads I have ever made.

FRESH:  The taste of the caraway seed is nice, but could get a little overpowering.  That's why I'm glad I tossed in the currants.  The little bits of sweet are a nice counterbalance.

OVERALL:  The bread turned out super fluffy, moist, and has a great crust.  I would definitely leave out the caraway seed next time and stick with maybe citrus and currants.  I'll be keeping this recipe.  It's quick and good.

Tomorrow is Turkey Chili.  Yummy.  I've been craving chili for a while now.  See ya tomorrow.

No comments: