Thursday, March 25, 2010

March 25th - Fried Eggs on Toast with Pepper Jack and Avocado

Cake, Cake, and More Cake...
Well, today I get to spend most of the day in the city putting together sheet cakes for our school's culinary symposium (which is tomorrow).  I won't bore you with the details of that, but I will mention that I am in charge of the cake competition.  The students are putting together three tier-ed cakes with a Chicago theme.  They've had 2 1/2 weeks to do it at home and today is the entry deadline, so I will be taking all of their cakes in today.  I'm excited to see what they'll look like.   Enough talk, let's get to the craziness...

THE RECIPE

Ingredients:
Butter: had
Eggs: had
Montery Jack Cheese: $1.10
Bread: $1.89
Avocadoes: $1.19
Cilantro: had

Total: $4.18

Reading this recipe astonished me.  First, because I wouldn't expect something like this from Bon Appetit.  Second, I wouldn't consider this a main meal (which is what Thursdays are supposed to be according to this calendar).  I mean, I like the creativity involved with this, but I feel like someone was one recipe short of getting a book published and threw something in very last minute.  I don't get it.  Meh...that's my opinion.  I still have to make it and eat it..so here we go.

THE RESULTS

FAST:  Really quick.  I toasted the bread in the broiler while the eggs were cooking (about 2 minutes), then threw the eggs on the bread, then the cheese, put it back in the broiler, and let the cheese melt (about another 2 minutes).  Sliced an avocado and chopped some cilantro (another 2 minutes) and done.  About 6 minutes all together.

EASY:  Very.  See above.

FRESH:  I love fresh avocado.  And the chopped cilantro was a nice touch too. 

OVERALL:  This was okay.  It was much better when I put hot sauce on it.  You know, if you made a spicy hollandiase sauce (or even did a salas), this has the makings of a southwestern Eggs Benedict (add some fried chorizo).  

Spinach dip tomorrow...see ya then!

2 comments:

char said...

I love avocado, I'm a great fan of random things with eggs on toast..so i like this idea..But can I ask what Cilantro is ?? *prepares to be laughed at*

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really looks lovely, Mark. I like the addition of the avocado. I found your blog by chance but I'll be back often. You have some wonderful recipes and information here. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary