Tuesday, February 2, 2010

February 2nd - Roast Chicken with Cumin, Paprika, and Allspice


Happy Groundhog Day!!

Ok...I saw my shadow this morning and I ain't happy.  (God, do I have to get back into my workout routine!)  I haven't heard the official report, but I'm sure that we're going to have 6 more weeks of winter.  It seems like this mysterious, all-knowing groundhog always says we're getting more winter.  Hey groundhog, why can't you predict if the economy is going to get better or not?  I sure could use a decent paying full-time job.   When's that coming around??

If I didn't have to write up 5 blogs today (because of my trip) I would totally watch my favorite movie in the world "Groundhog's Day" with Bill Murray and the reclusive Andie Macdowell.  I don't know what it is about the movie, but I love it.  Gosh, they sure don't make romantic comedy's like that anymore.  But, alas, I must get everything finished to enjoy the season premier of LOST!   I've been waiting for this day since the season finale last year.   Yippee!!! 

Insert gratuitous lost picture here:



THE RECIPE

Ingredients:

Chicken: $4.49
Olive Oil: Had
Cumin, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Allspice: Had
Paprika, Salt, Pepper: Had
Lemon: $0.89

Total:  $5.38

Since there are only two of us, I used a 3 lb chicken.  It took only 1 hour 20 minutes to cook.  I also am not a big chicken skin eater.  I love it, it's delicious, but it very bad for you.  So, I rubbed the spice mixture under the skin as well as on the skin (just to stay true to the original recipe).  It definitely adds flavor to the chicken in a healthier way!

THE RESULTS:

Fast:  No.  Prep will only take you about 10 minutes to get the chicken ready (if you rub under the skin), but the cooking time will be about 1 hour 20 minutes (longer for a bigger bird).  Also don't forget to allow the bird to sit about 7 minutes under aluminum foil so that the juices redistribute in the bird.  If you don't allow it to sit and cut into it right away, the juices will run out and your bird will get dry fast!

Snobby Chef Tip:  No one likes a dry bird!

Easy:  Sure is.  Mix together and rub it in.  Yeah, really rub it...don't be shy.

Fresh:  I like the use of all of the dry spices, but it is not fresh tasting...no matter how much lemon juice you squirt on that thing.

Overall:  I like it.  It is fairly reminiscent of the rotisserie birds you can buy at the grocery store.  If you're like me and have an overflowing spice cabinet, this recipe is a good way to use up those spices.  Or it could be a quick way to throw together dinner.  You can put the rub on already cut up chicken and save yourself some time. 

Okay my dears, it's time for me to skadaddle.    I'll be back next week.  In the meantime enjoy the following recipes.  (You've got to try the ice cream recipe...to die for!)

No comments: