Wednesday, February 24, 2010

February 24th - Spiced Carrot Salad



The Most Awful Ride Home

Really, I'm going to have to make today's posting short. Sorry.  I just got home (its 10:30 p.m.) from  teaching and had the worst time in traffic.  I'm still  a little shaken, up.  Wouldn't you know it, it's snowing again here in Chicago?   Go figure.  But this time, there were NO plows out on the road, so driving was terrible (that's an understatement).  Plus, you've got those knuckle heads who think just because they have an SVU, they can go normal speed (if not faster) right past you.  There's at least 2 to 3 inches of snow on the road, you can't be driving like that, it's reckless!  I almost skidded off the road at least 4 times.  It was one of those, oh shoot (PG here)  moments when you can feel the car skid out from under you and you just start going off diagonally.  Luckily, I had the sense to take my foot of the gas and compensate with steering.  It was awful.  I don't know how I didn't hit another car.   Plus I'm teaching at our western-most campus (which is about 45 minutes away from my house) so it was going to be a long car ride anyway.  Then, tack on the extra 30 minutes because of the snow.

I'm plum-tuckered.  So forgive the brash, let's-get-straight-to-the-point attitude. 


THE RECIPE

Ingredients:
Garlic: $.39
Cilantro: $.79
Olive Oil: Had
Lemons: $.79
Ginger: $.99
Cumin: Had
Carrots: $1.25

Total: $4.21

THE RESULTS

Fast:  Will probably take you 15 minutes tops.  Peeling the carrots and cooking them takes the most time.

Easy:  The hardest part will be using the food processor.

Fresh:  Yes.  Although, don't over cook the carrots otherwise, you'll lose the freshness and end up with a blah salad. 

Overall:  This salad is pretty good.  It will give you stinky breath though because of the garlic and spices.   Also, it's not the prettiest looking salad.  (All the pictures of it turned out quite blah no matter what kind of light I used).   

Okay,  I'm so exhausted.  Time for sleep... Pleasant dreams!

No comments: