Wednesday, February 17, 2010

February 17th - Roasted Radicchio with Balsamic Vinegar

The Easter Bunny's Coming....
It's Lent people!  That means soon it will be time to bite some heads off of chocolate rabbits!  I can't wait.  In the meantime, my catholic upbringing says it's time to give something up.  Well, being the rebel I am, I am refusing to "give up" anything for Lent.  Instead, I'm going to "add on" to my life.

Last year I gave up alcohol for lent which ended up in a very drunken Easter night.  I can barely recollect anything after my second gin martini.  (Thank god for my friend Lauren).  This year, I've decided that I'm going to "add on" at least 30 minutes of exercising every day (this includes pilates/yoga).  It's going to be a struggle for me, I know...but I can do it.

Brian thinks I can't.  He's convinced I won't be able to do it.  Umm..who gave up drinking for 40 days last year after you said I wouldn't be able to?  Who ended up getting totally blasted and drunk-dialed your butt while you were in Texas on Easter to tell you that you were wrong?  ME..that's who.  And I'll do it again (but this time I'll be drunk dialing local and not long distance!)

Plus, I have to get into shape for the chocolate rabbits.  Sweet, delicious, melt in your mouth, preferably dark chocolate, and not filled with some gross filling but left hollow, chocolate rabbits.  I'll be seeing you in 40 days mon petit lapin!

THE RECIPE

Ingredients: 
Radicchio: $2.79
Balsamic Vinegar: Had
Thyme: $1.29

Total: $4.08

WARNING:  The recommended 20 minutes of roasting is ENTIRELY too much time!  Seriously, you only need 12 - 15 minutes tops.  My radicchio almost when ablaze in the oven.  I had to peel off a lot of the outer leaves because they were Charo-ed ("cuchi-cuchi").  It was a waste.

Fast:  Again, this only should have taken 15 minutes tops. 

Easy:  This recipe has only 4 ingredients and basically has you throw wedges of radicchio in the oven.  My 5 year old nephew could make this (and probably a heck of a lot better than I did).

Fresh:  No.  Not when it's all burned tasting.  However, seeing as it's Ash Wednesday, it's quite appropriate. 

Overall:  Okay, I much would have liked the radicchio grilled.  (I love grilling heads of romaine in the backyard during the summer...YUMMY!)   Even the parts that weren't burnt of my radicchio didn't taste very good.   Maybe if the radicchio "marinated" in oil with more herbs, it would be much better.    This one is a big thumbs down. 

No comments: