Tuesday, January 19, 2010

January 19th - Chicken and Mustard Green Sandwiches



I'm Tired and Crabby

I'm tired... I'm crabby...and poor Brian is taking the brunt of Hurricane Mark.  I've been at school going non-stop since 8 a.m! Saturday is the big Polish dinner and I spent today making pierogi's and the start of the hunter's stew (by myself...thank's students).  I didn't get home until 7 p.m. and I whipped up this sandwich quicker than a virgin on his wedding night.  I'm just going to get right to it.   (I'll make it up to you later this week).

THE RECIPE:

Ingredients:

Mayo (Had)
Mango Chutney (Had...surprisingly)
Baguette $2.99
Butter (Had)
Chicken (Had)
Mustard Greens: $2.99

Total $5. 98

So I swear I've bought mustard greens in the past in bunches for only 99 cents.  All of a sudden I go to Jewel (a grocery store here in Chicagoland) and they only have it cello bags for 2.99.  What the frick?  And since when did a stupid loaf of bread cost 2.99?  Stupid Jewel.  I'm never going there again. 

Mango chutney used to be hard to find.  You can get it in the condiment aisle.  It's usually near the mustards.  It is a great all-around condiment.  I've done a turkey spread with that and a little curry powder.  Yummy!

The Results:

Fast:  Yes.  Cooking the chicken is the longest part at 10 minutes.  Overall it was about 20 minutes from start to finish for this recipe.

Easy:  Yes.  You mix the chutney and mayo together and spread it on the bread.  Then you broil it.  While that's going, you cook the chicken (and I did the mustard greens in a separate pan). 

Fresh:  So-so.  The main flavors are sweet from the chutney and bitter from the greens.  The chicken is pretty non-descript.

Overall:  It's an okay recipe.  It's good for a throw together lunch (if you have mustard greens just lying around).  I probably won't make it again. 

Tomorrow is Asian noodles.  I'm looking forward to that.  Hopefully I'll be in a better mood tomorrow! Oh ...and for those of you that asked, I'm going to get you those recipes.  I haven't forgotten...

No comments: